Tuesday 5 May 2015

What are you Afraid of?

I got a present of a parachute jump for my birthday few years back

I'm scared shitless of Flying..

I'm a lot better now, but back then..

White-knuckle city!

On with the story<<<<<<<<<<

I spent weeks wasting my energy and time watching videos of people dying when their jump went South

Literally and they went with it

So the faithful day and hour came upon me, and my partner was along for the ride too

I was assigned my Tandem master his name was Ray

Or (guy who willingly straps himself to you, and jumps out of a plane)

They were feckin nuts!

I suppose you would  be too if you jumped out of a perfectly good plane 10+ times before lunch time.

Ray"So Fergal, are you doing the jump for charity?"

Me. "No its a birthday present"

Ray"Ah at least you got to live till your next birthday" exclaimed the Ray(~ laughing~)

Bastard.....

Now I was shitting myself Big time

My turn came

My heart rate elevated, I stared hyper ventilating

 I thought I was going to die

My fearful thoughts now kicked in

"The chute wont open"

"I'm going to be a red spot on the floor soon"

Long story short, I loved it!

The freedom, the adrenaline, the Speed

Until the chute was pulled.......

Then..

I passed out

Yup, I fainted 3000 feet in the air (attached to my tandem master obviously)

All of that built up anxiety and fear had completely drained me

 I was now like a life-size marinate puppet hanging form a giant piece of silk.

Pinocchio parachute style

The parachute phase is amazing, unfortunately I did not get to experience it for too long though as I was in and out of consciousness

I woke up to Ray slapping my face and screaming my name, still in the air I might add

Ray "fergal, fErgAl, FERGAL!!!"

I woke up and managed to enjoy the last 3minutes of glide phase

My fear disappeared and I enjoyed what was in front of me.

I missed out on a bit of life because my Fear took control of me

What makes you fearful?

Your own Thoughts

I mightn't like it?

Bullshit, you never tried it!

Be honest with yourself, be open to new things and change

It will change the way you look at life

You will appreciate yourself more and feel better about yourself for taking on new challenges

You may be fearful at first

WE ALL ARE!

But You might just feel great after and want to do it again

Don't give into fear,

Being brave means you are scared shitless of doing something but you do it anyway


Fergal ("I've got no strings to hold me down") Lawlor





No comments:

Post a Comment